Weather Forecast

Click for Imperial, Nebraska Forecast

Max Beard - October 21, 2010

?On Oct. 27, 1924, Max Beard and his twin sister Maxine were born to Otho and Mabel Beard on the farm west of Champion, Neb. He had nine brothers and sisters.
?Max died Oct. 10, 2010 in Imperial, Neb. at the age of 85.
?He attended school at Bussell Mill then worked on the family farm, as well as with other area farmers.
?Max served in the Navy from March 1945 until August 1946.
?On Aug. 17, 1952 he married the love of his life, Murlena Miller. To this union three children were born: Shirly Ann, Albert Lee and Kelly Max. Six grandchildren, Cabel Max, Michael, Matthew, Alexandria, Richard and Lyssa; nine great grandchildren, Hunter Max, Raven, Hadleigh, Haleigh, Kylee, Tyler, Colby, Kegan and Clayton. His extended family includes step-grandchildren, Natalie, Elizabeth and Jarnetta deJarnette and Aaron Sargent and step great grandchildren, Dharma and Keenan Cole and god child Mendy Strugeon.
?Max loved his children but believed they needed to know how to work so encouraged them to help around the place. To balance out the work there were many trips around the area on Sundays so they could see the beauty their state had to offer.
?Max was a friend to everyone he met. If you needed anything Max was there to help. He thought about other’s needs before he worried about his own. Max’s favorite attire was a pair of bib overalls; that way he was always ready to help when needed.
?Max loved playing Santa Claus to neighborhood children in the Venango area for many years. Santa would arrive at your house with a present and a jolly HO HO HO. While living in the Venango area he decided to decorate his place with Christmas lights. He started small but each year they grew and grew. He and Murlena also decorated the inside of their home and had an open house most of the holiday season. Their place was known for the barn with a big Christmas smile; it could be seen for miles around. When they moved to the Imperial area, Max continued decorating and worked to fit his lights to the new location. They again opened the inside of the house to visitors who came to see the lights for many years. Max would begin in early October getting all the lights up. It gave him much pleasure to hear all the Ohhs and Awws when people looked at all the lights, scenes and animation. One of his favorites was his Nativity Scene that had been hand painted for them.
?Max worked for the Venango Coop for many years running their propane truck. He left the Coop and began working for Perkins County on the Road Crew for 21 years. He took pride in that he kept his roads well graded with minimal holes and washboards. He liked being out in the country on his maintainer, traveling the roads he grew to know well. He’d wave at those he knew and would stop when someone needed help along the road.
?During all these years he developed a good following for his “Honey Wagon” business. Max ran his “Honey Wagon” on evenings and weekends when someone needed a septic cleaned out. He dug out many septic tanks so they worked well for those he served. He never refused service to anyone even if he knew they could not afford his services. When he moved to Chase County he continued to keep his “Honey Wagon” busy helping others. When his sight wouldn’t let him drive, Murlena or one of his boys would do the driving for him. This is the one job Max really enjoyed as he could visit while he worked or pitch in and help others with another job.
?Max was a fixer type person who could take pieces of junk and make something out of them. He built flower pot umbrellas, washing machine agitator stools and other fun items. He wasn’t one to run to town and buy things, instead he’d figure out what he needed and make it from odds and ends around the farm. Even when Max began losing his eye sight, he continued to work around his farm doing many of the tasks he had always done. Losing his sight was one of the biggest hurdles Max had to endure but he never lost his ready smile and friendly words for his visitors.
Max is survived by his wife, Murlena of Imperial; daughter and husband, Shirly and Gene deJarnette of Oklahoma City, Okla.; son, Albert Beard of Venango; and son and wife, Kelly and Lori Beard of Imperial; grandchildren, Michael and Tren Beard of Paxton, Matthew and Lacey Beard of Grand Island, Alexandria and Chris Cole of Venango, Richard Beard and friend, Jordan, of Imperial and Lyssa Beard of Colby, Kan.; great grandchildren include Hunter and Raven Irons of Oklahoma City, Okla., Hadleigh and Haleigh Beard of Paxton, Kylee, Tyler and Colby Beard of Grand Island and Kegan and Clayton Beard of Venango; step grandchildren, Natalie, Elizabeth and Jarnetta deJarnette of Oklahoma City, Okla. and Aaron Sargent of West Virginia; step great grandchildren, Dharma and Keenan Cole of Venango and god child Mendy Strugeon of Centennial, Colo.; sisters, Lois Bussell of Loveland, Colo. and Thelma Gibb of Holdrege; sisters-in-law, Maxine Beard of Imperial and Ilene Beard of Holyoke, Colo. and brother-in-law, Don Burtis of Sheridan, Wyo. and many nieces, nephews, neighbors and friends.
?Max was preceded in death by his first grandson, Cabel Max Irons; his parents, Otho and Mabel Beard; brothers, Clifford, Vincen, Kenny and Donnie and sisters, Iris Williams, Maxine Burtis and Darlene Beard.
?Max requested there be only a graveside service and his family has honored that request.
Graveside services were held Friday, Oct. 15, 2010, 11 a.m. at Mount Hope Cemetery in Imperial with Rev. Harwerth officiating.
Soloist and guitarist was Mr. Kim Silvester.
Casketbearers were Michael Beard, Matthew Beard, Richard Beard, Elizabeth deJarnette, Alexandria Cole, Lyssa Beard, Aaron Sargent and Natalie deJarnette.
?Interment was at Mount Hope Cemetery, Imperial.
Liewer Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.