Weather Forecast

Click for Imperial, Nebraska Forecast

Candle fire causes consternation at Balcony House PDF Print E-mail

By Carolyn Lee
The Imperial Republican

“We were very lucky,” according to owners Linda and Jim Pirog of a small fire started by a neglected candle over the weekend at the Balcony House.
The fire burned greenery around the candle and caused minor smoke damage, but was out by the time the Imperial Volunteer Fire Department arrived.
Linda Pirog said she’d lit a large candle on a glass table on a balcony porch Thursday night during the Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge Tour of Homes.
She closed the door to the porch later, forgetting the candle was still lit.
On Saturday morning, a guest returned to his room after getting coffee, then descended back to the dining area to ask why there was smoke in his room.
Linda called 911 while Jim rushed up with the fire extinguisher. He put out the fire, which caused some smoke damage on the porch, but not in the rest of the bed and breakfast. The candle had burned totally down and caught the greenery on fire, she said.
Fire Chief Bryan Dannatt said his department removed the materials from the house, ventilated it and used the thermal imaging camera to make sure there was no extension of the fire in the walls.
Linda said the room has been cleaned up, and business is as usual. She’d like to remind people that candles need to be watched.
There will be no more candles at The Balcony House, she added, although she loves them.

 

AP Sports List

AP Video Search