Article Image Alt Text

Mike Motz | Sidney Sun-Telegraph
Jake German stretches for the rim in Chase County’s win over Ord at the Sidney Holiday Tournament.

Shorthanded ‘Horns go 2-1 at Sidney tournament

 After a 60-43 win over Ord in the first round of the Sidney Holiday Tournament, the Chase County boys’ basketball team split games with McCook and Gordon-Rushville to end last week’s tournament.
Longhorns’ Head Coach Chris Bartels said he’s definitely happy with going 2-1 in the Sidney tournament given the circumstances.
“We missed both Mason (Nordhausen) and Tysen (Lempke), but I thought we had a lot of different guys step up and help us out,” Bartels said, adding, there are a lot of areas on which CCS needs to improve, he was proud of how this team competed in all three games.
CCS faced McCook Dec. 29 in a rematch of a Dec. 4 game the Longhorns won 61-44. But playing without starters Nordhausen and Lempke, the double O.T. game proved to be much more of a challenge for CCS.
Kade Anderson and Cedric Maxwell scored the Longhorns’ points in the low scoring first quarter. Two free throws by Keenan Cole quickly tied the game in the second quarter and Cole gave CCS a 12-11 lead with a three pointer. After a conventional three point play by Maxwell, Clay Meeske and Anderson made three pointers. Two free throws by Maxwell pushed the CCS lead to 23-19 at halftime.
Despite McCook foul trouble, Chase County couldn’t shake the Bison. The teams traded three pointers in the quarter. A three pointer by Brandon Mintling kept CCS in the lead, 32-30, and a layup at the buzzer by Maxwell kept the lead at two points, 34-32, heading into the fourth quarter.
Jake German opened the fourth quarter with a basket, but McCook answered with five straight points. A free throw by Maxwell tied the game at 37. A three pointer by Anderson helped the Longhorns’ cause, but McCook made two field goals and a free throw to retake the advantage. Maxwell’s basket tied the game at 42 after a McCook free throw. Meeske had the answer for a long Bison three pointer before both teams went scoreless over the games final minute.
Tied at 45 heading into overtime, Meeske once more traded three pointers with McCook. The Bison held a three point lead with time running down, until German made a three pointer from the left corner with eight seconds left to send the game to a second overtime.

To read more go to:


The Imperial Republican

308-882-4453 (Phone)

622 Broadway St

PO Box 727

Imperial, NE 69033