IVFD called to appliance fire near Champion

    An electric dryer in the home of Chris and Samie Johnson of rural Champion was a total loss in a fire Sunday night.
    Fire Chief Doug Mitchell said he was a little concerned when the call was received about 7:55 p.m., as the Imperial  Volunteer Fire Department (IVFD) was still on scene at an accident west of Champion. The last of three Imperial EMS ambulances was just leaving the accident scene when the fire call came in, he said.
    When the IVFD arrived on scene near the intersection of 736 Road and 319 Avenue, the Johnsons had already put out the fire with several extinguishers, he said.
    IVFD members then pulled the unit outdoors, and helped open the house to clear it of smoke, he added.
    Mitchell said they weren’t sure initially what the fire call entailed, so he also summoned the Lamar Volunteer Fire Department. He had them turn back once officers knew the nature of the call.

The Imperial Republican

308-882-4453 (Phone)

308-882-5167 (Fax)

622 Broadway St

PO Box 727

Imperial, NE 69033