Article Image Alt Text

Imperial Volunteer Fire Department members assess the situation at Sunrise Apartment after applying foam and water to a burning bush by the southwest building’s entrance. Some was applied to the building as a precaution. (Johnson Publications photo)

Evening fire scares apartment dwellers

    Residents of Sunrise Apartments were startled from their homes Sunday night.
    The Imperial Volunteer Fire Department (IVFD) was called to the apartment complex near 10th and Douglas streets around 10 p.m. Sunday evening.
    IVFD Chief Doug Mitchell said a large bush in the front of the southwest building’s entrance caught fire during a windy evening.
    “We looked around pretty good and aren’t sure what caused it,” Mitchell said.
    There were places in the grass in front of the building that had several patched of burned grass, as well.
    The fire was contained to the south exterior of the one building, while the inside of the structure remained unharmed. Firefighters applied water and foam to the bush and building exterior.
    Since there was no damage to the inside of the building, an inspector was not called, Mitchell noted.  
    Also responding to the scene were the Imperial Police Department and Imperial EMS.


The Imperial Republican

308-882-4453 (Phone)

308-882-5167 (Fax)

622 Broadway St

PO Box 727

Imperial, NE 69033