Due to COVID, mortgage, rental assistance available to Nebraskans

    As many as 23% of Nebraska residents have missed a housing payment or were not confident they would make next month’s payment due to COVID-19, according to the Census Pulse Poll.
    Through United Way of the Midlands’ CARES Housing Stability Program, Nebraskans who have experienced a COVID-19-related hardship can receive assistance with rent, mortgage and utilities.  
    Funds can be used to pay all or any part of an eligible applicant’s utility, mortgage or rental expenses that were incurred after April 1, including late fees and back payments.
    These funds will be paid directly to the landlord, mortgage holder or utility company on behalf of the applicant.
    United Way of the Midlands is coordinating with area partners to provide this assistance.
    Who is eligible to receive funds through the program?
    An individual who meets the following requirements is eligible to apply for assistance:
is a U.S. citizen or legal resident and resides in Nebraska.
    Has experienced negative financial impact due to COVID-19.
    Can provide verification of lease, mortgage or rental agreement. Documents verifying Nebraska residency and legal residence/citizenship and/or the appropriate corroboration forms must be uploaded within the application.
    How can people apply for assistance?
    People needing assistance should contact United Way of the Midlands’ 211 Helpline by calling 2-1-1 or texting their zip code to 898211. Helpline specialists are available 24/7.
    Individuals can also apply by filling out this online form: www.unitedwaymidlands.org/necares.
    What documentation will the applicant need to provide in order to provide assistance?  
    Applicants will need to provide a copy of the following:
     Photo ID
    One consecutive month’s proof of income from before the lease or mortgage holder’s income was impacted by COVID-19 and one consecutive months’ proof of income after their income was impacted by COVID-19. (eg: pay stubs, Social Security/SSI, letter from employer, bank statements,  or letter of explanation)
    Copy of current lease or mortgage payment information    
    How will funds be distributed?
    Rental assistance will be paid directly to the landlord. Mortgage payments will be paid directly to the mortgage lender and utility assistance to the utility company.


The Imperial Republican

308-882-4453 (Phone)

622 Broadway St

PO Box 727

Imperial, NE 69033