Weather Forecast

Click for Imperial, Nebraska Forecast

Farris Bernard - January 16, 2014

Farris Irene Bernard was born May 29, 1932, to Charles Alvin and Clara Francis (Upchurch) Davison, at home in the Crete community west of Champion, Neb. There she attended the Crete School and Church.
As a young girl, her mother became ill and was placed on bed rest. Farris became very busy helping out around the house, watching over her younger brother and sister. She learned to cook and used that skill for most of her life.
Farris attended Chase County High School, boarding in town like a lot of the country kids. She and her roommate and friend, Genny, worked for their room and board by cleaning house for their landladies. One semester they lived in the garage. She graduated in 1950 with many fond memories.
After graduation Farris married Howard Bernard on Aug. 25, 1950. The couple moved to Dundy County, where they farmed. They would often get together with neighbors to play cards in the evenings or spend Sundays with friends, so the guys could get some roping practice in before a rodeo.
Farris and Howard had two daughters, Vickie and Elaine. The girls learned the art of making pie filling to help out when Farris was preparing for the three sale barn cafes she operated. She worked at and ran cafes for Benkelman’s South Auction Barn, Andy Anderson and the Imperial Auction Market. Over the years she made thousands of pies.
While on the farm, Farris was active in the Hoover School area too. She belonged to the Extension Club and served on the local election board. Farris and other friends shocked cane for area farmers in the fall. In the spring they would help each other dress their frying chickens.
In the early 1960’s Farris and Howard moved to the Nolan Ranch west of Champion. She cooked for the hay crews, or whatever crew was there at the time. She would often comment, “The time on the ranch was the best.” When the ranch manager retired and all was sold, the family moved to Champion.
Farris and Howard bought the Champ-Inn and operated it for the next three years. They then moved to a farm outside of Champion. Howard farmed and Farris got a bookkeeping job with Central States. They remained on the farm until Howard suffered a heart attack, after which they moved into Imperial. Farris continued to work initially at Central States, then at Adams Bank and Trust as a loan clerk. She liked people and always enjoyed working with the public.
Before Howard’s death in 1994, the couple moved back to the country, making their home near Enders. They traveled the United States from the south end of Highway #83 to the north, which ends in Manitoba, Canada. Farris continued to belong to a knitting club; she loved to crochet, sharing and receiving many patterns. She gave many of the doilies and afghans she produced away to family and friends. Farris enjoyed the friends and friendships made while in the club.
Through all the years, she worked around and with health problems. They began with a broken, shattered ankle she received while jumping from a wagon. Howard thought the new team of mules was going to break away and told her to jump.
Farris lived at Enders for a few more years, eventually moving back to Imperial. She took up Bingo, going out three times a week and crocheting in between. She continued to struggle with her health until her death.
Farris passed away early Tuesday morning, Jan. 7, 2014, at Good Samaritan Hospital, Kearney, Neb. She was 81 years of age.
She was preceded in death by her parents, husband Howard, sister Joyce Newman, nephew Darin Jay and niece Sheryl Janousek.
Survivors include daughters Vickie Beard and husband Burton of Champion, Neb., Elaine Nelson and husband Craig of Hayes Center, Neb., and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; two grandchildren, Charles Beard of Champion, Neb. and Patricia Beard of Hastings, Neb.; two great-grandchildren, Garrett and Grant Beard of Hastings, Neb.; brother Stanley Davison and wife Betty of Garden City, Mo.; brother-in-law Dwayne Newman of Holdrege, Neb., and nephews and many friends.
Funeral services were held Monday, Jan. 13, 2014, 11:00 a.m. (MT) at the First United Methodist Church of Imperial with Pastor Valera Heydenberk officiating. Marcia Bauerle served as pianist and Kim Silvester was soloist.
Casketbearers included Dean Newman, Bob Mendenhall Jr., Jim Howard, Gary Bernard, James Howard and Jay Fanning.
Honorary casketbearers were Charles Davison, Dan Newman, Tommy Davison, Stanley Smith, Frank Clements and Del Newman.
Interment followed at Mount Hope Cemetery, Imperial, Neb.
A memorial has been established in Farris’s memory. On line condolences can be left at
Liewer Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.