New Carbon Monoxide Safety Act to affect new, sold homes in future
By Carolyn Lee
The Imperial Republican
Last Thursday the Nebraska Legislature passed LB34, the Carbon Monoxide Safety Act.
Sponsored by Sen. Sarah Howard of Omaha, the bill will require all single and multi-family homes with a building permit issued after Jan. 1, 2017 to have carbon monoxide detectors in place.
According to Sen. Howard’s legislative aide, Timoree Klingler, the bill also requires any single or multi-family home for sale or transfer after that date also to be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors, as well as any home construction that requires a permit—such as remodeling or additions—after Jan. 1, 2017.
She said Sen. Howard sponsored the bill on behalf of Omaha Healthy Kids Alliance, “to protect Nebraska’s families from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. She felt it was important to address the problem.”
Nick Schultz, Imperial building inspector, said the passage of the bill will probably affect about 25 to 50 homes per year. That includes about 10 to 15 homes sold per year, three to four new homes and 12-15 major remodel permits per year.
As Imperial Volunteer Fire Department chief, he said there has been “some problem in the area regarding carbon monoxide poisoning” alerts and fire department responses.
There have been several calls in the last two to three years where detectors have gone off, he said, but luckily only one was a legitimate problem.
Schultz noted that carbon monoxide detectors cost from $25 to $50 and “are just like smoke detectors. They’re a good thing.”
The detectors generally just plug into an electrical outlet. However, LB34 also recognizes detectors that are wired into a dwelling’s electrical system or are connected to an electrical system via an electrical panel.