Another year of events in works
By Merrilyn Leibbrandt
Imperial Chamber President
The Imperial Chamber of Commerce is working toward another great year of events that both promote Imperial businesses and thank our customers for their support and patronage.
Upcoming events include:
- Ag Tech Fair on Feb. 12
- Dessert Wars on Feb. 20 (a new event this year)
- Chili Cook-Off on March 13
- Easter Egg hunT on April 12
- Business Retention and Expansion Awards (in conjunction with the city) on May 6
- Last Day of School ice cream event on May 22
- City Wide Garage Sales on June 14
- Hot Dog Days of Summer on July 10
- Highway Cleanup on Aug. 7
- Popcorn Day on Oct. 31
- Drawings for two Thanksgiving baskets in November
- Christmas Festival on Dec. 4
Our guest speaker at the January meeting was Kelsey Owens, who has a family member in the Special Forces. She gave a presentation on the Joggin’ for Frogmen 5K Run/Walk she is organizing to be held in Imperial on May 31. Joggin’ for Frogmen partners with ONE TEAM ONE FIGHT to help raise money for the Navy Seal Foundation and the Travis Manion Foundation.
The Chamber meets the third Wednesday of each month at noon at the Imperial Community Center. My challenge to the members this year is to reach out to other members and, of course, to prospective new members to develop a personal contact.
We have such a great mix of older and younger members and we all can learn so much from each other, especially by working & volunteering together. One of my favorite quotes is: “It is surprising how much you can accomplish if you don’t care who gets the credit.”—Abraham Lincoln.
As Chamber president, I look forward to a very busy, but also very rewarding, 2014! If anyone has questions or needs information on joining the Chamber, please feel free to call me at Fine Things Jewelry, 882-3070.