By Jan Schultz
The Imperial Republican
Coach Marc Mroczek said his boys’ track team still has some work to do as they face a busy week of meets, both scheduled and rescheduled.
Coming off of last week’s rescheduled Perkins County Invitational April 14, where the Longhorns finished eighth, Mroczek said the next couple of weeks will be key.
“We are still trying to get into shape. We need to push ourselves the next couple of weeks and compete at the best we can,” he said.
He said they still haven’t had a full team at practice as of Monday this week, due to illness and other conflicts.
With the exception of two athletes, the boys’ team was in full force at last week’s meet in Grant, but it was clear some work needs to be done yet, Mroczek said.
“Our times and marks just weren’t good enough. They’re not where they need to be yet,” he said.
Of 26 points the Chase County boys scored, 16 of them came from senior Alex Sharp, who finished second in both the shot and discus. Sharp’s 46’4” in the shot was a personal best.
The Longhorns finished fifth or sixth in the other five events in which they placed.
Preston Bernhardt was fifth for Chase County in the 3200, also running a personal best at 11:12.8.
Chase County’s other individual place-winner was Daniel Regier, who finished sixth in triple jump.
Chase County’s other scores came from three of its relay teams. Both the 1600 and 3200 meter teams finished fifth, while the Longhorn weightman’s relay was sixth.
Ogallala ran away with the team championship, finishing about 90 points ahead of second and dominating much of the distance races.
Coach Mroczek noted four of the SPVA conference teams placed ahead of his team. Some of those placings may be skewed a bit due to the non-conference teams there, but Mroczek said his team needs to work hard to have a good showing at the SPVA meet on May 1.
But between now and then, there were four meets on the Longhorn schedule.
The Longhorns hosted their home meet on Tuesday this week, then are headed to the Hershey Invitational on Saturday, a JV meet in McCook Monday and the rescheduled Sutherland Invitational on Tuesday, April 28.
Mroczek expects to have full teams at Hershey and Sutherland, but will be sending just six athletes to McCook due to the rescheduled Sutherland meet on Tuesday.
Last Tuesday at Perkins County’s meet was one of the better days for track, with shirt-sleeve conditions most of the day. The wind came up in the afternoon, however.
Team scoring was Ogallala 176, Sutherland 87, North Platte St. Pat’s 82, Perkins County 66, Hershey 33, Wauneta/Palisade 33, Southwest 27, Chase County 26, Garden County 23, Garden County JV 4 and Ogallala JV 1.
Here are Chase County’s individual results from the meet, and all first place finishes.
- 100 meter dash—1st, Brandon White, Oga., 11.5.
- 200 meter dash—1st, Brandon White, Oga., 22.9.
- 400 meter dash—1st, Cody Fanning, WP, 52.4.
- 800 meter run—1st, Chance Miller, Oga., 2:05.3.
- 1600 meter run—1st, Tyler Tophoj, Oga., 4:45.2.
- 3200 meter run—5th, Preston Bernhardt, 11:12.8. Winning time—Seth Tophoj, Oga., 10:29.1.
- 110 meter hurdles—1st, Zach Paulman, Suth., 16.2.
- 300 meter hurdles—1st, Derek Blessing, Oga., 41.5.
- 400 meter relay—1st, Southwest, 46.2.
- 400 meter relay weightman’s—6th, Chase County, Lucas Bauerle, Tyler Roenfeldt, Alex Sharp, Alex Strand, 54.4. Winning time—NP St. Pat’s 50.9.
- 1600 meter relay—5th, Chase County, Daniel Regier, Misael Lopez, Kyle Bottom, Tom Sullivan, 3:55.2. Winning time—Sutherland, 3:41.2.
- 3200 meter relay—5th, Chase County, Kyle Bottom, Shane German, Jakob Burke, Tom Sullivan, 9:20.5. Winning time—Ogallala, 8:37.7.
- High jump—1st, Steve Jones, NP St. Pat’s 6’3”.
- Pole vault—1st, Cody Svoboda, Oga., 12’6”.
- Long jump—1st, Davin Seilter, Oga., 20’.
- Triple jump—6th, Daniel Regier, 38’1/4”. Winning mark—Ross Mercer, Oga., 39’8.25”.
- Shot put—2nd, Alex Sharp, 46’4”. Winning mark—Mike Thalken, Oga., 50’10”.
- Discus—2nd, Alex Sharp, 130’9”. Winning mark—Mike Thalken, Oga., 151’3”.
- 3200—Preston Bernhardt, 11:12.8; Taylor Gellerman, 14:17.1.
- 200—Schyler Heathers, 25.4; Daniel Hogsett, 28.3; Tyrell Bartholomew, 30.2.
- Shot put—Alex Sharp, 46’4”; Tyler Roenfeldt, 41’1.25”; Lucas Bauerle, 37’1/2”.
- Long jump—Steven Way, 17’8.75” Daniel Hogsett, 13’7.5”.
- Discus—Lucas Bauerle, 112’; Grant Lenners, 100’.
- 100—Daniel Hogsett, 13.2; Tyrell Bartholomew, 14.5.
- Triple jump—Tyrell Bartholomew, 26’6”.
- 1600—Taylor Gellerman, 6:29.3.