By Jan Schultz
The Imperial Republican
Placing in 12 events at last week’s rescheduled Perkins County Invitational helped the Lady Longhorn track team to a fourth place finish.
CCS Coach Al Zuege said his team competed well among the field of eight other varsity squads, half of which were other SPVA conference schools.
With Perkins County the only SPVA team to place ahead of the Lady Longhorns last week, it may be shaping up to be another competitive conference meet May 1.
At last year’s 2008 SPVA meet, the Chase County girls battled the Lady Plainsmen most of the day, eventually securing the conference title a 20th straight year by a 15-point margin.
Zuege expects the battle again at this year’s SPVA, with Hershey another team in contention for the 2009 title.
But, at least week’s Perkins County meet, Chase County again had good performances in the relays. The team picked up one first during the day, and that came from the 400 meter relay team.
The team of Nichole Dickey, Dee Dee Pursley, Rebecca Martin and Karlee Palmer won the 400 relay with a time of 53.8 seconds, their fastest this season.
The 1600 meter and 400 meter powderpuff teams both earned seconds, while the 3200 relay team was fourth.
Karlee Palmer collected two thirds in the 100 and 200. Dee Dee Pursley also placed in both hurdles, with a second in the 300s, and a sixth in the high hurdles.
Chase County picked up three places in the weights. Lexee Reichert was third in the shot, while Molly Strand and Karlee Kunnemann were fourth and sixth, respectively, in the discus.
Other individual place winners included Rebecca Martin, fourth in the 200; Nichole Dickey, fifth in the 400; and Kacia Smith, sixth in the 300 meter hurdles.
Coach Zuege said the Lady Longhorns most likely could have scored more team points last week, but he chose to limit most of the athletes to two to three events, instead of three to four.
Athletes can compete in a maximum of four events in each meet.
And, he said they still are switching girls around to different events, trying to find the best combinations as they hit mid-season.
After this week’s competition with an eye on the conference meet, Zuege said they’ll begin to run most of the athletes at full strength.
The weather was one of the better days the team has seen for track this season, although there was some wind late in the day.
Team scoring was Perkins County 100, Southwest 97, Wauneta/Palisade 72, Chase County 69, Ogallala 60, St. Pat’s 57, Sutherland 54, Hershey 28, Garden County 15, Southwest JV 4 and Chase County JV 1.
Here are Chase County’s individual placings and all first place finishes.
- 100 meter dash—3rd, Karlee Palmer, 13.5. Winning time—Blair Dixon, WP, 13.0.
- 200 meter dash—3rd, Karlee Palmer, 27.2; 4th, Rebecca Martin, 28.6. Winning time—Blair Dixon, WP, 26.4.
- 400 meter dash—5th, Nichole Dickey, 1:08.3. Winning time—1st, Blair Dixon, WP, 1:00.4.
- 800 meter run—1st, Layne McConville, SW, 2:35.5.
- 1600 meter run—1st, Layne McConville, SW, 5:49.7.
- 3200 meter run—1st, Layne McConville, SW, 12:18.3.
- 100 meter hurdles—6th, Dee Dee Pursley, 19.1. Winning time—Blair Dixon, WP, 16.0.
- 300 meter hurdles—2nd, Dee Dee Pursley, 51.5; 6th, Kacia Smith, 55.5. Winning time—Erin Baldridge, Her., 51.4.
- 400 meter relay—1st, Chase County, Nichole Dickey, Dee Dee Pursley, Rebecca Martin, Karlee Palmer, 53.8.
- 400 meter relay powderpuff—2nd, Chase County, Karlee Kunnemann, Maria Ramos, Alexa Bernhardt, Shayla Dinnel, 1:00.6; 6th, Chase County JV, Malissa Martinez, Lexee Reichert, Carolina Ramos, Katie Engbrecht, 1:08.1. Winning time—Perkins County, 59.7.
- 1600 meter relay—2nd, Chase County, Dee Dee Pursley, Kacia Smith, Chantal Heathers, Jilanne German, 4:32.5. Winning time—Perkins County, 4:32.0.
- 3200 meter relay—4th, Chase County, Shanna Carter, Morgan Strand, Jilanne German, Paula Leibbrandt, 12:16.1. Winning time—Southwest, 11:10.2.
- High jump—1st, Audrey Frary, Suth., 5’.
- Pole vault—1st, Jessie Bolton, GC, 9’4”.
- Long jump—1st, Shelby Piper, NP St. Pat’s 15’11.75”.
- Triple jump—1st, Shelby Pieper, NP St. Pat’s 34’6”.
- Shot put—3rd, Lexee Reichert, 34’5.5”. Winning mark—Sara Wilson, PC, 39’9.75”.
- Discus—4th, Molly Strand, 97’7”; 6th, Karlee Kunnemann, 96’8”. Winning mark—Shelby Hamilton, WP 110’11”.
- 800 meter—Jilanne German, 2:53.8.
- 1600 meter—Jade Vaverek, 8:48.9; Devon Vaverek, 8:02.1.
- 300 meter hurdles—Dee Dee Pursley, 51.5; Chantal Heathers, 59.0.
- Shot put—Molly Strand, 32’4.5”; Maria Ramos, 29’3”; Catarina Ramos, 27’7”.
- Discus—Karlee Kunnemann, 96’8”; Molly Strand, 97’7”; Alexa Bernhardt, 76’7”; Katie Engbrecht, 72’11”.
- Long jump—Melissa Martinez, 11’0.5”.