Last SPVA golf title came 13 years ago
By Russ Pankonin
The Imperial Republican
Chase County’s golfers accomplished a feat the Longhorns haven’t been able to do for 13 years—win an SPVA title.
The Longhorns shot three strokes better than North Platte St. Pat’s in Friday’s SPVA meet at Sutherland to capture the crown.
Coach Larry Munger said the Longhorns have finished second a number of times since their last SPVA title in 2000.
Munger expected it would be a three-horse race between the Longhorns, St. Pat’s and Perkins County. That proved true.
The Longhorns finished first with 367 strokes compared to St. Pat’s at 370 and Perkins County at 371.
Medalist honors to Laird
Junior Curtis Laird put together rounds of 42-41 for an 83 to take medalist honors in the meet.
Munger said Laird has been playing well and put it together Friday to win the title.
“I hope it was a breakthrough win for him,” Munger said this week.
Sophomore Freddie Kasselman captured third in the meet with an 86. They were the only two Longhorns in the top 10.
Despite that, the team combined for a team total to capture the title.
Tyler Jennings’ 98 and Ryan Moline’s 100, when combined with scores by Laird and Kasselman, tallied 367, three strokes better than St. Pat’s.
Longhorns third at Garden Co.
The Longhorns tuned up for the SPVA meet with the Garden County meet on Thursday.
There, the Longhorns finished third behind Perkins County and Bridgeport with a team total of 367 in the 10-team field.
Kasselman led the team with an 82 to finish third individually. Darin Knobbe finished in a tie for 10th and lost a playoff.
Kasselman was joined in team scoring by Knobbe, Moline with a 96 and Laird with a 101.
Busy week for golfers
The varsity golfers will play in four golf meets before next Thursday, including two that had been rescheduled due to weather.
On Tuesday, the Longhorns played at the Creek Valley meet at Chappell. Today (Thursday) the Longhorns play in the Perkins County meet. Both were rescheduled meets.
On Monday, May 1 the Longhorns will play in the Cozad invite followed by the Ogallala invite on Thursday, May 9.
Districts will be May 13 at Kearney’s Meadowlark Hills.
The jayvees played in the Southwest invite at Cambridge Tuesday and will play in the St. Pat’s invite today.
Results of last week’s meets are as follows:
- Team standings—1st, Chase County, 367; 2nd, NPSP, 370; 3rd, Perkins County, 371; 4th, Hershey, 414; 5th, Sutherland, 428.
- Individual results—1st, Curtis Laird, CC, 83; 2nd, Matthew Buhrman, NPSP, 85; 3rd, Freddie Kasselman, CC, 86; 4th, Austin Thelander, PC, 89; 5th, Nate Chrisman, NPSP, 90; 6th, Landan Maassen, Her., 91; 7th, Tim Pfeiff, Suth., 92; 8th, Seth Lynes, NPSP, 92; 9th, Blake Poppe, PC, 92; 10th, Jacob Sexson, PC, 94.
- CCS individual results—Curtis Laird, 42-41=83; Freddie Kasselman, 43-43-86; Tyler Jennings 52-46=98; Ryan Moline, 46-54=100; Darin Knobbe, 50-55-105.
Garden County golf
- Team standings—1st, Perkins County, 360; 2nd, Bridgeport, 360; 3rd, Chase County, 367; 4th, Bayard, 370; 5th, Sandhills-Thedford, 387; 6th, Mullen, 391; 7th, Ogallala, 415; 8th, Garden County, 439; 9th, Creek Valley, 443; 10th, Hyannis, 602.
- Individual results—1st, Dakota Swires, Bridge., 78; 2nd, Trae Blanco, Bay., 80; 3rd, Freddie Kasselman, CC, 82; 4th, Cole Whalen, PC, 84; 5th, Lane Godfrey, CV, 85; 6th, Tyson Schmunk, Bay., 85; 7th, Logan Ginkene, Mull., 87; 8th, Dawson Hughes, Bridge., 88; 9th, Colton White, PC, 90; 10th (won playoff), Blake Poppe, PC, 91; 10th, Darin Knobbe, 91.
- CCS individual results—Freddie Kasselman, 42-40-=82; Darin Knobbe, 47-44=91; Ryan Moline, 46-50=96; Curtis Laird, 47-54=101; Tyler Jennings, 49-60=109.