By Russ Pankonin
The Imperial Republican
The drought’s over—at least for the Longhorn boys track team. For the first time since 2007, the Longhorns brought a track meet title back home to Imperial.
The Longhorns scored 121 points en route to capturing the title at the E. Lee Todd Invitational held in Grant Saturday.
Coach Carl Zuege said the team’s depth really came into play in winning the title.
“We emphasize that you compete all the way to the end because fourth and fifth place finishes win meets,” he said.
The Longhorns scored in 15 different events, leading the way with four first place finishes, five seconds, one third, eight fourths, four fifths and three sixth place finishes.
Zuege said those fourth, fifth and sixth place finishes really added up Saturday.
In their first meet at Ogallala, Zuege said the Longhorns put up some good marks against a Class B field.
Saturday, those marks improved and held up against other Class C and SPVA teams.
Individually, Zuege said junior Kevin German really stepped up, finishing the day with individual golds in both hurdle events, another in the 1,600 relay and a silver in the 400.
At Ogallala, German ran the 300 hurdles and the relay. Zuege said they asked him to run the 110 high hurdles and the 400 at Grant.
Instead of just two events, German suggested running them all. “He picked it up huge,” Zuege said. “I’m really proud of him.”
The other two first-place finishes came from the 1,600 and 3,200 relays.
Zuege said senior Josue Guillen made a big impact in the hurdle events with German, taking second in the 110 highs and fourth in the 300 hurdles. This is Guillen’s first year out for track.
Zuege said the title effort came on a week when student athletes were attending FFA and FBLA conventions in Lincoln. Everyone was back in time to compete, he noted.
Zuege said Justus Wallin missed the meet due to a school visit. He would have added some more points, Zuege noted.
In addition, Zuege said the jayvee members of the team also got to compete Saturday and set some good marks to better as the season goes on.
The Longhorns will go in search of another title Friday when they travel to Sutherland for their invitational.
Field events will begin at 10:30 a.m. MDT with running events kicking off at 1:30 p.m. MDT.
Here are the scoring and individual results from Saturday’s E. Lee Todd Invitational at Grant:
- Scoring—1st, Chase County, 121; 2nd, Ogallala, 115; 3rd, Perkins County, 83; 4th (tie), Gordon-Rushville and St. Pat’s, 67; 6th (tie) Wauneta-Palisade and Garden County, 28; 8th, Sutherland, 26; 9th, Hershey, 19; 10th, Ogallala JV, 2; 11th (tie), Chase County JV and Perkins County JV, 1.
- High jump—4th, Travis Luhrs, CC, 5-6. Winning mark—Lex Haller, GR, 6-0.
- Pole vault—4th, Jake Lueth, CC, 11-0. Winning mark—Chandler Tyan, Suth., 13-6.
- Long jump—5th, Shay Eidson, CC, 18-7; 6th, David Almanza, CC, 18-6.5. Winning mark—Elliot Carlson, PC, 20-6.5.
- Triple jump—4th, Kelton Fisher, CC, 38-5; 5th, Shay Eidson, CC, 38-3.75. Winning mark—Brandon Niesen, St. Pat’s, 42-1.5.
- Shot put—5th, Brian Bell, CC, 42-3.75. Winning mark—Vinny Ross, PC, 47-10.5.
- Discus—1st, Jesse Bleidt, GC, 150-4.
- 100 meter dash—1st, Dru Estrada, Oga., 11.1.
- 200 meter dash—1st, Elliot Carlson, PC, 23.1.
- 400 meter dash—2nd, Kevin German, CC, 53.5; 3rd, Dan Sullivan, CC, 54.2; 5th, Michael May, CC, 55.0. Winning time—Matthew Sestak, PC, 53.3.
- 800 meter run—3rd, Dan Sullivan, CC, 2:08.0; 5th, Indy Smith, CC, 2:11.7. Winning time—Dillon McKeag, Oga., 2:01.8.
- 1600 meter run—4th, Holden Dreiling,. CC, 4:56.1; 6th, Travis Luhrs, CC, 5:09.6. Winning time—Dillon McKeag, Oga., 4:45.1.
- 3200 meter run—4th, Holden Dreiling, CC, 11:18.7; 6th, Garrett Thompson, CC, 12:02.4. Winning time—Gary Kaplan, GR, 10:34.0.
- 110 meter hurdles—1st, Kevin German, CC, 16.0; 2nd, Josue Guillen, CC, 16.1; 4th, Kelton Fisher, CC, 16.8.
- 300 meter hurdles—1st, Kevin German, CC, 41.9; 4th, Josue Guillen, CC, 45.7.
- 400 meter relay—4th, Chase County, Khris Kuhlmann, David Almanza, Kale Gockley, Michael May, 47.1. Winning time—Ogallala, 44.5.
- 400 meter relay weightman’s—2nd, Chase County, Shay Eidson, Brian Bell, Luis Rodriguez, Jake Lueth, 51.3. Winning time—St. Pat’s, 50.3.
- 1600 meter relay—1st, Chase county, Kevin German, David Almanza, Kale Gockley, Michael May, 3:39.8.
- 3200 meter relay—1st, Chase County, Holden Dreiling, Indy Smith, Isaac Sorensen, Dan Sullivan, 8:48.5; 6th, Chase County JV, Hunter Dillan, Taylor Wilson, Caleb Bubak, Jeff Dickey, 10:10.7.
- David Almanza—long jump, 18-6.5.
- Shay Eidson—long jump 18-7; triple jump, 38-4.
- Jake Lueth—pole vault, 11-0.
- Destyn Milner—pole vault, 9-0.
- Brian Bell—shot put, 42-4.
- Josue Guillen—110 HH, 16.1.
- Kevin German—110 HH, 16.0; 400, 53.5.
- Kelton Fisher—110 HH, 16.8, 300 H, 47.8.
- Dan Sullivan—800, 2:08.
- Holden Dreiling—1600, 4:56.
- Garret Thompson—1600, 5:32.
- 4x800 Relay—Sullivan, Dreiling, Sorensen, Smith, 8:48.8.