By Russ Pankonin
The Imperial Republican
Chase County’s Longhorn girls finished in the middle of the pack Saturday at the E. Lee Todd Invitational at Grant.
Coach Al Zuege said the girls’ fifth place finish would have likely been better had he not been missing 10 girls from his team. “That hurt team-wise,” he said.
He said they didn’t have enough girls to fill two of the relays, affecting the team scoring.
Overall, the team amassed five third place finishes, four fourths, three fifths and two sixths.
Despite missing all those girls, Zuege said the team competed well with SPVA teams Sutherland and N.P. St. Pat’s. However, St. Pat’s was missing three of their key distance runners.
Paige Spady and Kristen Jussel paced the team, each with a pair of third place finishes.
Spady took third in both the 1,600 and 3,200 meter runs. Alyssa Morena added a fourth in the 1,600 and fifth in the 3,200.
Jussel got her two third place finishes in the 300 hurdles and the 400.
Zuege said Jussel has been challenged to get into condition due to an injury suffered at the end of the basketball season.
She was saddled to conditioning on a bike, which isn’t at all like running, Zuege said.
She has still not been cleared by her doctor to run the 100 hurdles yet. Zuege said their goal is to get her ready for the 100 hurdles at the Chase County meet April 16.
In the throws, Jodi Koellner added a third place finish in the shot put and a fourth in the discus.
Zuege’s squad should be back to full strength this week then they travel to Sutherland for their invitational Friday. Field events begin at 10:30 a.m. MDT with running events to follow at 1:30 p.m. MDT.
Here are the results from the E. Lee Todd Invitational at Grant Saturday.
- Scoring—1st, Ogallala, 131; 2nd, Sutherland Public, 77; 3rd, St. Patrick, 74.50; 4th, Gordon-Rushville, 64; 5th, Chase County, 52.50; 6th, Hershey, 50; 7th, Perkins County, 42; 8th, Wauneta-Palisade, 40; 9th, Garden County, 22; 10th, Ogallala JV, 2.
- 100 meter dash—5th, Morgan Fisher, CC, 13.2. Winning time—Jamie Smith, SP, 12.7.
- 200 meter dash—1st, Tresann Waites, Oga., 26.9.
- 400 meter dash—3rd, Kristen Jussel, CC, 1:05.4. Winning time—Abbie Fanning, WP, 1:03.7.
- 800 meter run—1st, Kelsey Crymble, Oga., 2:37.4.
- 1600 meter run—3rd, Paige Spady, CC, 6:01.8; 4th, Alyssa Moreno, CC, 6:11.4. Winning time—Dani Wellnitz, GR, 5:51.9.
- 3200 meter run—3rd, Paige Spady, CC, 12:55.1; 5th, Alyssa Moreno, CC, 13:44.0. Winning time—Dani Wellnitz, GR, 12:28.8.
- 100 meter hurdles—1st, Hali Sahr, GR, 17.1.
- 300 meter hurdles—3rd, Kristen Jussel, CC, 51.2. Winning time—Kaley Stokey, Suth., 49.9.
- 400 meter relay—1st, Sutherland, 52.9.
- 400 meter relay powderpuff—4th, Chase County, Mindy Castle, MaKayla DaMoude, MaKenna Ketter, Jodi Koellner, 1:07.5. Winning time—Sutherland, 1:00.1.
- 400 meter relay—1st, Sutherland, 4:25.1.
- 3200 meter relay—1st, Gordon-Rushville, 10:41.6.
- High jump—4th, MaKenna Ketter, CC, 4-4”; 6th, Mindy Castle, CC, 4-4. Winning mark—Anna McLaughlin, GC, 4-10.
- Pole vault—1st, Brooke Frederick, Her., 10-4.
- Long jump—6th, Morgan Fisher, CC, 13-9. Winning mark—Tresann Waites, Oga., 15-9.
- Triple jump—5th, Kaycee Bubak, CC, 30-1. Winning mark—Sidney Mell, Oga., 32-5.75.
- Shot put—3rd, Jodi Koellner, CC, 32-9. Winning mark—Ciara Voycheske, Oga., 38-5.5.
- Discus—4th, Jodi Koellner, CC, 112-0. Winning mark—Ciara Voycheske, Oga., 123-1.
- 800 meters—Mallory Coleman, 2:53.70.
- 3200 meters—Mallory Coleman, 14:02.30.
- Shot put—MaKayla DaMoude, 21-3.25.
- Discus—MaKayla DaMoude, 66-6.
- 100 meters—Morgan Fisher, 13.20.
- 1600 meters—Alyssa Moreno, 6:11.40; Annika Swanson, 6:21.50.
- 400 meters—Annika Swanson, 75.90.