|Fire department called to Harchelroad’s Tuesday; cornstalk fire last week|
By Jan Schultz
The Imperial Republican
Main street was lit up with fire trucks and other emergency vehicles Tuesday night when members of the Imperial Volunteer Fire Department were called to Harchelroad Motors at 316 Broadway.
First Asst. Chief Dan Robinson said the 8:30 p.m. IVFD page reported sparks coming out of the northeast chimney at the business.
After investigating, the firefighters discovered that soot had built up in the chimney from an oil burner used in the shop as a supplemental heat source. Pieces of the soot were breaking off and embers were escaping up through the chimney and into the air.
Robinson said staff at Harchelroad’s were able to shut off the burner, and would be cleaning the chimney’s soot this week.
Cornstalk fire last Tuesday
The IVFD was called about 15 miles northeast of Imperial last Tuesday, March 17, to a cornstalk fire, about two miles east of Imperial Beef.
Robinson said they are uncertain on the cause of the fire, but it burned between 30 and 40 acres of cornstalks.
As a precaution to the fire, and due to the distance, the IVFD called in fire departments from Grant and Madrid on mutual aid assistance.