By Russ Pankonin
The Imperial Republican
Golfers from the Imperial Country Club (ICC) took a 14-10 victory in the 11th annual Chase County Cup competition held Saturday at the Imperial course.
Coming into this year’s match, teams from ICC and Enders Lake Golf Course (ELGC) had each won the cup five times, with ELGC winning the cup in 2011.
With Saturday’s win, the Imperial team has won the cup five of the last six years.
The annual match pits 12 golfers from each course in Ryder Cup-style match play.
Match play format
In match play, the winner of each hole is determined by the lowest number of strokes on the hole by a player or team. If the scores end in a tie, there is no winner of the hole. Strokes tallied on one hole do not carry over to the next. So if a golfer or team has a bad score on one hole, the stroke score starts anew on the next hole.
The first 18 holes are comprised of team play with nine holes of four ball and nine holes of alternating shot.
In four ball, two team members score their best ball against the best ball of the other team.
In alternating shot, or foursomes, the team members alternate shooting each shot. The team members also alternate which holes they tee off on. Each team’s score on the hole is used to determine if a hole is won or halved.
A total of six team points are at stake in both the four ball and alternating shot matches.
The final 12 points are awarded to the winners in the singles matches, where the golfers go head-to-head in match play format.
In the four-ball pairings, Imperial won 3.5 points with Enders taking 2.5 points.
In the alternating shot, Imperial won 3.5 points to open their lead to 7-5 over Enders going into singles play.
As the cup holder, Enders needed just 12 total points to retain the cup. Imperial needed 12.5 points to win the cup away from Enders.
Imperial won six of the 12 singles matches and split a half-point on two others to finish with a total of 14 points while Enders won five points in singles to finish with 10 points.
Golfers competing for the Imperial Country Club included John Paisley, Dan Russell, Mark Bishop, Brad Spady, Brad Cochran, Daryl Sharp, Jeff Pribbeno, Jim Pirog, Russ Pankonin, Kirk Wilson, Tom Luhrs and Eric McDaniel. Bob Thomas served as Imperial’s non-playing captain.
Golfers competing for Enders Lake Golf Course included Eric Moreland, Curtis Johnson, Doug Carman, Alan Carman, Troy Space, Matt Jablonski, Rick Einspahr, Harold Nordhausen, Dan Fulton, Sam Kasselman, Lee Denker and Matt Klima. John Burke served as the team’s non-playing captain.
Results of the matches are as follows:
- Doubles Four Ball: Nordhausen/Einspahr (E) defeated Paisley/Russell (I), 1 up; Fulton/Kasselman (E) defeated Spady/Bishop (I), 4&3; Pirog/Pribbeno (I) defeated Denker/Klima (E), 2&1; Pankonin/Wilson (I) defeated Moreland/Johnson (E), 2 up; Sharp/Cochran (I) halved with Jablonski/Space (E); Luhrs/McDaniels defeated Carman/Carman (E), 2 up. Imperial: 3.5 points, Enders: 2.5 points
- Doubles Alternating Shot: Paisley/Russell (I), defeated Nordhausen/Einspahr (E), 1 up; Fulton/Kasselman (E) defeated Spady/Bishop (I), 4&3; Denker/Klima (E) defeated Pirog/Pribbeno (I), 1 up; Pankonin/Wilson (I) halved with Moreland/Johnson (E); Sharp/Cochran (I) defeated Jablonski/Space (E); Luhrs/McDaniels (I) defeated Carman/Carman (E), 1 up. Imperial: 3.5 points, Enders: 2.5 points,
- Doubles Standings—Imperial: 7 points, Enders: 5 points.
- Singles: Spady halved with Moreland; Bishop defeated Johnson, 2&1; Sharp defeated Doug Carman, 1 up; Cochran defeated Alan Carman, 5&3; Einspahr defeated Wilson, 2&1; Pankonin defeated Nordhausen 4&2; Paisley halved with Jablonski; Space defeated Russell, 2&1; Kasselman defeated McDaniels, 2&1; Fulton defeated Pribbeno, 1 up; Luhrs defeated Denker 2&1; Pirog defeated Klima 2 up. Imperial: 7 points, Enders: 5 points.
- Final standings: Imperial, 14 points; Enders, 10 points.