1928 Ford Roadster takes People’s Choice at 2012 Car Nutz Cruize-in
By Sheri Hink
The Wauneta Breeze
Seventy-one gleaming classic cars lined the street Saturday afternoon during 2012 Car Nutz Cruize-in at the Chase County Fair.
The cars ranged in age from 1928 to 2003. The event boasted 60 entrants plus 11 club member’s cars for a total of 71.
People who stopped by the show had the opportunity to vote for their favorite car. The car with the most votes was selected as the coveted “People’s Choice” winner.
This year the People’s Choice winners were Jim and Rhonda Rutt of Blue Hill for their 1928 Ford Roadster.
Imperial Car Nutz members also cast their votes for the best car in the show. The “Club’s Choice” award was given to Mike McCrone of North Platte for his 1960 Ford Shelby GT500.
This year, the club also awarded a trophy to the best rat rod of the show. This year’s winner was Randy Raile of Goodland, Kan. Raile was given a special trophy for the honor.
All registrants in the show received t-shirts, dash packs and door prizes. Car Nutz members said they appreciated support from their sponsors in Wauneta and Imperial who helped make the show a success.
Below is a list of winners from the show. Each of the winners received a plaque for their entries.
(Listed in no particular order)
- Pre 1948—Top 4—Riley Sermeno, 1938 coupe; Jim and Rhonda Rutt, 1928 Ford Roadster—also People’s Choice; Larry Hilty, 1939 Chevrolet Coupe–also Best Interior; Kevin Schrotberger, 1937 Ford Pick-up.
- 1949-1963—B—Dan Carsten, 1955 Chevrolet 150; Don Wilson (Mid Plains Community College), 1962 Chevrolet Nova; Ray Hardy, 1962 Chevrolet Impala SS; Jeannie Cox, 1958 Chevrolet Impala convertible.
- 1964-1974—Top 4—Jack Karrie, 1963 1/2 Ford Galaxy; Mike McCrone, 1960 Ford Shelby GT500—also Club Choice; Tim Sowle, 1968 Ford Mustang; Gary Parks, 1969 Chevrolet Camaro–also Best Engine.
- 1975-1985—Top 2—Neil Nole, 1977 Chevrolet Malibu Classic; Jared Thompson, 1979 GMC Serra.
- 1986 to present—Top 4—Brian Schippert, 1994 Ford Mustang GT—also Best Paint; James Haag, 1995 Ford Mustang; Kaleb Schmittler, 2003 Ford SUT Cobra; Jeff Brady, 2002 Chevrolet Camaro.
- Open Class—Top 4—Chris Zimmerman, 1941 Rat Rod; Randy Raile, 1938 Ford Rat Rod—also Rat Rod Trophy; Betty Langley Narvaez, 2002 VW Beetle; Lance White, 2000 Ford Mustang.
- Pick-up Class—Top 4—Jake McDaniel, 1953 Ford F100; Don Donjon, 1951 Chevrolet PU; Trent Lindsted, 1956 Ford F100; Lyle and Don Holaway, 1968 Chevrolet C-10.
- Under 21—Top 3—Aaron Stegman, 1965 Chevrolet Impala; Sam Cahow, 1974 Ford Maverick; Glenn Wardlow, 1961 Chevrolet 1/2 ton.