Culbertson woman chokes on food, dies Saturday evening
By Russ Pankonin
The Imperial Republican
A 61-year-old Culbertson woman died Saturday evening at the Chase County Community Hospital after she choked on food at an Imperial restaurant.
According to Patti Lueth, manager at Jack’s Steakhouse & Sandwich Shoppe in Imperial, Sue Ruppert was enjoying supper with a small group when the incident occurred.
Lueth said several members of her party unsuccessfully tried to dislodge the food trapped in her airway using the Heimlich manuever.
CPR was also started by other patrons at the restaurant until the Imperial EMS arrived to take over.
Ruppert grew up in McCook and graduated from McCook High School in 1966.
She was a graduate of McCook Beauty Academy and also taught at the academy and was co-owner of Westside Cuts in McCook.
In 1988, she married Wilber Ruppert of Culbertson.
Survivors include her husband, Wilber of Culbertson; a daughter, Amanda Schow of California; a step-son, Kevin Ruppert and special friend, Candace Albers of Culbertson; step-daughters, Tammy (Kenneth) Carpenter of Platteville, Colo., Amy (Chris) Loibl of Allen, Texas, and Jamey (Jeff) Keen of McCook; eight grandchildren; a brother, Frank (Norene) Hamilton of McCook and a sister, Ellen (Ken) Hockemeier of Kearney; and many nieces and nephews.
Funeral services are today (Thursday) at 11 a.m. CT at Carpenter Breland Funeral Home in McCook.
Burial will be in the Culbertson Cemetery.