Weather Forecast

Click for Imperial, Nebraska Forecast

St. John’s Catholic Church celebrating 50th anniversary PDF Print E-mail

By Tina Kitt
The Wauneta Breeze

Dating back to 1959, when construction was completed, St. John’s Catholic Church in Wauneta has been a Highway 6 landmark of modern architecture for 50 years.
This Sunday afternoon, parishioners and guests from across Nebraska will gather at St. John’s for a Mass by Nebraska Bishop Fabian Bruskewitz in honor of the 50th anniversary of the “new” church building.
A 2 p.m. MT/3 p.m. CT Mass will be held for confirmation of 17 fifth through ninth graders from across Chase, Dundy, Hayes and Hitchcock counties and for the 50th anniversary of the church’s construction and laying of the corner stone.
Following the Mass, a PowerPoint slide show featuring the history of the parish will be given with a cake and punch reception planned to cap the afternoon’s events.
Wauneta’s Catholic Church took root in Chase County in the early 1900s. Among the earliest members of the future St. John’s Catholic Church was George Meister who moved to the Wauneta area in 1885.
In 1947, Wauneta’s Catholic Church became affiliated with St. Patrick’s in Imperial as a mission church with Father Anthony Gruesser as pastor. Prior to that, the Oblate Fathers of McCook were in charge of the Wauneta parish. Since June 2007, St. John’s has been affiliated with St. James Catholic Church of Trenton and served by Father Val Bartek.